Secondary Adaptec SCSI controller on ISC v2.2

Tim Wright tim at dell.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 17:44:05 AEST 1991

In <1991Jun19.091956.7012 at rcc.de> rpg at rcc.de (Ralf Gans) writes:

>In article <1991Jun9.181922.25392 at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> brando at uicsl.csl.uiuc.edu (Brandon Brown) writes:
>>I recently purchased a secondary Adaptec 1540B (no floppy) controller for my
>>386/25MHz machine to attach an Archive Viper 150S to for backups.
>>
>>After installing all of the hardware into this already running machine, I
>>rebuilt the kernel after configuring the HPDD under kconfig, option 8. Now,
>>when I boot the machine, it gives "Booting the UNIX system...." and hangs.
>>
>The AHA1540B Bios supports a single location for I/O, i.e. 330H.
>To use a second Controler, you have to get a changed BIOS from
>Adaptec (or from your dealer).
>Than you have to activate bouth cards with Bios on differend addresses.
>(SORRY, BUT THIS IS NOT TESTED!)
Bzzt - sorry, you lose. This is quite wrong under UNIX and possibly even under
DOS. UNIX doesn't need the BIOS activated on a secondary controller, and I'm
pretty certain you can only have one BIOS active anyway. The reason Adaptec
make BIOS chips available for other locations is if you cannot use 330 due
to a clash. UNIX *does* need the setup for the controller to agree with the
appropriate kernel config file. In ISC 2.0.2, the High Performance Disk Driver
hardwires settings in the space.c files for each controller. If you look
at /etc/conf/kconfig.d/space.dsk.gen, you'll see all the available settings
for HD controllers (similarly for tape). A primary controller is at
I/O 330, DMA 5, IRQ 11 and the minor device numbers start at 0. If this is
a secondary controller, the minor map starts at 64. Thus to add a tape, you
need to run kconfig, configure a secondary SCSI controller and say there is
a tape, then run
mknod /dev/scsitape c 41 72 (72 is 8 for rewind + 64)
mknod /dev/scsitapen c 41 64 (non-rewinding).
>BUT:
>Why do you need a second controler, you have only THREE devices?
>In my opinion, you simly have to get a new cable.(?)
The above is written assuming the primary controller is an ESDI or IDE. If
the primary controller is a SCSI controller, then there is indeed no point
in adding another controller.

Tim
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp., Bracknell    |  Domain: tim at dell.co.uk
Berkshire, UK, RG12 1RW. Tel: +44-344-860456  |  Uucp: ...!ukc!delluk!tim
Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Red Dwarf