Thinking about buying UNIX for home, be careful w/ Dell

Kevin L. Gross klg at tc.fluke.COM
Sat Jun 15 01:58:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun11.123605.12138 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:
>If you bought Dell's SysV/386 R4, I'm not the least bit surprised that you got
>it on tape.  If you were to buy it on disks, you would end up with a wooden
>pallet full of disks.  There's a reason that SysV R4 isn't distributed on
>disks, and that's because it is huge.  The only vendor to my knowledge that
>is distributing their SysV R4 on disk is UHC and you get a lot of disks, on
>the order of 50 if I'm not mistaken for the complete system.

There are more like 93 (1.44) disks total, but I don't consider that a
large problem. I didn't have a tape drive, and what with all the problems
I'm having trying to find one, that would have stopped me cold.

The disks are laid out well and you probably wouldn't want to use all of
them anyway, there are many subsets of disks for various portions of
network, comm, and GUI's. In any case, it only takes a couple of hours
to install the entire set...OK, maybe three hours.

The choice is what's important here, isn't it?

-Kevin
--

-Kevin L. Gross                                   klg at Fluke.COM
 Disclaim THIS: "I wouldn't do that, mister...Old Zeek's liable