Thinking about buying UNIX for home, be careful w/ Dell

Evan Leibovitch evan at telly.on.ca
Wed Jun 19 22:43:46 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun14.155802.4815 at tc.fluke.COM> klg at tc.fluke.COM (Kevin L. Gross) writes:

>In article <1991Jun11.123605.12138 at crash.cts.com> jca at pnet01.cts.com (John C. Archambeau) writes:

>>If you bought Dell's SysV/386 R4, I'm not the least bit surprised that you got
>>it on tape.  If you were to buy it on disks, you would end up with a wooden
>>pallet full of disks.  There's a reason that SysV R4 isn't distributed on
>>disks, and that's because it is huge.  The only vendor to my knowledge that
>>is distributing their SysV R4 on disk is UHC and you get a lot of disks, on
>>the order of 50 if I'm not mistaken for the complete system.

>There are more like 93 (1.44) disks total, but I don't consider that a
>large problem. I didn't have a tape drive, and what with all the problems
>I'm having trying to find one, that would have stopped me cold.

I have received my first copy of ESIX R4 on tape media. The package is
four floppies and a single 60Meg tape.

ESIX is also available on 5.25 and 3.5 inch floppies. According to my
info, here's the tally on 5-inch media (I may be off slightly because
the figures below are for the international version, and doesn't include
the data encryption software):

Base set (no development sys): 59 disks

Development system: 11 disks

Graphics I (Open Look): 19 disks

Graphics II (Motif): 7 disks

--
   Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
         evan at telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504