Santa Cruz Operation settles Lotus lawsuit

Sean Eric Fagan sef at kithrup.COM
Thu Jun 20 11:46:00 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.234829.7918 at ico.isc.com> rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Is there any reason to think that SCO gave in to Lotus for
>any cause other than being "out-lawyered"?

Yes.  Considering the number of people SCO laid off recently (a subject I
won't get into), I suspect the settlement was because SCO did not feel it
could afford a lawsuit, no matter what their chances of winning were.

As to the point... well, Lotus already knows how various people feel about
it.  I think it might be time to let the *other* side know how one feels
about their capitulating to bogus (IMSHO) copyright issues.  Perhaps if SCO
and Borland had banded together against Lotus, something could have been
done (successfully, that is).  As it is, it only reinforces Lotus' position.

>As you say, under the circumstances it's not surprising that SCO decided as
>they did.  The problem lies elsewhere.

Yes.  But if you don't think that SCO getting a few dozen calls about
something like this won't make a difference in future actions, think again.

sef at kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."