Santa Cruz Operation settles Lotus lawsuit

Chip Rosenthal chip at chinacat.unicom.com
Fri Jun 21 04:18:02 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun19.234829.7918 at ico.isc.com>
	rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>sef at kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) writes:
>>...I also recommend [...] that you let SCO know what you think of their
>> action.  (Which, unfortunately, are understandable, all things considering.)
>
>That may be of some limited interest to them, but I'm not sure what the
>point would be.

The decision to drop Pro is (as sef said) understandable.  I'm still
disappointed in SCO's action, but I'm not sure I can tell them how to
spend their litigation dollars.  What *is* very concerning is the
mention in the press release that SCO will help Lotus market 1-2-3 to
their customers.  Lotus has done a grave injustice to open systems
users, and it would be inexcusable for SCO to further the damages
done.

In the past, I've simply voted with my pocketbook.  Maybe a more direct
action is required.  Let SCO know what you think of them helping Lotus
to entrench their software monopoly.  While you are at it, let ISC
know as well (they appear to be the primary distributor for 1-2-3 for
Unix/386).

In the meantime, I'm off to evaluate spreadsheet alternatives for
clients.  If anybody has comments on spreadsheet programs we should
be aware of, please post (or email me and I will summarize to the net).

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  Closed user interfaces for open systems?
Unicom Systems Development    |  No, thank you.