ISC 3.2 mail does not recognize @

Andy B. andyb at stb.info.com
Mon Jun 3 09:21:04 AEST 1991

I'm not sure where the problem is.  I can mail to stb from
my machine if I use bang path.  ie. mailx stb!andyb

It is picked up by uucp and delivered just fine.  However, if I
use an @ it returns a "user unknown" message.

I set debug in mailx, and one of the things that caught
my eye was, 'Recipients of message: "rmail" "-i" "andyb at stb.info.com"'.
Now aside from the fact that the manual makes no mention of an
"i" option to rmail (in fact it makes no mention of any options
at all), I tried it from the command line and found that
there is no -i option, but there are a slew of undocumented ones.
Anyway, I tried 'set sendmail="/usr/lib/sendmail"'in the mailx
startup file, and I STILL get both the above messages!
Why do I have these strange recipients?  Where are they coming
from?  Will they hurt me?

I had thought I was using smail, and my /usr/lib/uucp/paths
file I finally cut down to one line:  smart-host	stb!%s
No go.  If I do smail -A andyb at stb.info.com, (and using
my original paths file which included some of the right stuff)
then it resolves correctly.

What am I doing wrong??

Thanks!!

Andy
--
If it's not broken...your girlfriend will get bored with it anyway.