Performance of 80486 based machines running Unix

John C. Archambeau jca at pnet01.cts.com
Wed Jun 26 23:56:03 AEST 1991

bill at unixland.natick.ma.us (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <1991Jun24.214207.21425 at engage.pko.dec.com> balson at 3d.enet.dec.com (My name is...) writes:
>
>>on the open market/mail order for PC's. the only difference being that
>>micro code was added to prevent them from being used in any machine other than
>>a DEC workstation. This in my opinion, is *NOT* what open systems is all about.
>>I should be able to install any SCSI disk that I have for my PC into any
>>workstation anad visa versa. But I cant. Because I cannot do this makes those
>>machines proprietary not matter how *OPEN* those manafactures say they are. I
>
>This is ABSURD!!!!  What does DEC have to gain by making their drives
>unusable by "the rest of the world?"  Nobody would pay ridiculous
>DEC prices for DEC drives for other machines anyway, but the principle
>stinks.
>
>Does anyone know if SUN does the same ??  or can a Sun drive be moved
>to another non-Sun machine ??

Sun drives can be taken from a Sun to any other machine.  It was common
practice in the company I use to work for to pull the 105 Mb drive (which is
really a Quantum P-105S (piece of crud)) and put it on a Mac when it outlived
its usefulness do to it being rather small.

     // JCA

 /*
 ** Flames  : /dev/null                     | MS-DOS???
 ** ARPANET : crash!pnet01!jca at nosc.mil     | I don't think so!  (*BOP*)
 ** INTERNET: jca at pnet01.cts.com            | Homey don't play dat!
 ** UUCP    : {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!jca