Performance of 80486 based machines running Unix

Anthony P Lawrence apl at world.std.com
Sat Jun 22 11:21:30 AEST 1991

I am aware of (work with, on, and around) quite a number of 80386 and '486
systems running 10-40 character terminals with quite reasonable responsiveness.

It is my gut feeling (somebody who knows what's going on could comment?) that
running on the CONSOLE is always slower than running on a terminal, and that
anyone using the console will slow down other people at terminals as well as
their own jobs.

This could be TOTAL imagination on my part-after all, I am constantly on
different machines, with different numbers of users, different terminal boards
, different applications-
so the word subjective is really stretched here.

			Tony