Performance of 80486 based machines running Unix

Charles R. Oldham cro at cs.arizona.edu
Fri Jun 21 07:50:03 AEST 1991

Hi *,

	Is anyone out there running an 80486 box with either SCO Unix
or Interactive's 386ix?  My office is looking at purchasing either a
486 based machine, a Sun, or a RS/6000 machine, and I'm really
interested in what kind of performance a 486/33 or 486/25 can deliver.

	I need to be able to do the following:

	- Run the Uni*Verse command language (lang like dBase)
	- Connect to the Internet for mail and news via TCP/IP
	- Provide access for between 5 and 25 users, 10 of those will
	  probably be dialup over 2400 baud modems
	- Provide standard local email for above users
	- Possibly run FoxBase or dBase
	- Have enough power left over for me (the sysadmin) to handle
	  some heavy programming chores without having to step out for
	  a cup of coffee everytime I run a make.

	Speed degradation is a real concern for us, as we are
providing some computing resources to non-computer-users.
Unfortunately, these non-computer-users are also the ones who
partially determine our budget, so the machine will have to be quite
responsive.

	While we're at it, can someone also fill me in on the
differences and advantages of either 386ix or SCO Unix?  I know they
both are sysV based unices, but do they provide some of the BSD
niceties also (i.e. job control)?

	Please email to me.  I'll summarize if there is interest.

	Thanks in advance!

* Charles R. (C. R.) Oldham                   | Bitnet: OLDHAM at ARIZRVAX       *
* Department of Computer Science              | Internet:                     *
* University of Arizona                       | (Preferred)                   *
* Tucson, Arizona                             |   cro at caslon.cs.arizona.edu   *
* USA                                         |or oldham at rvax.ccit.arizona.edu*
*                                             | IXOYE                         *