Performance of 80486 based machines running Unix

Dick Dunn rcd at ico.isc.com
Sat Jun 22 05:48:51 AEST 1991

fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
  cro at cs.arizona.edu (Charles R. Oldham) writes:
> |> 	Is anyone out there running an 80486 box with either SCO Unix
> |> or Interactive's 386ix?  My office is looking at purchasing either a
> |> 486 based machine, a Sun, or a RS/6000 machine...
> As someone who takes care of RISC 6000s on a daily basis, I venture to
> give you my own opinions, I post it instead of mailing because I believe
> this is of general interest.  As RISC 6000 low end model is on par with
> high end 33Mhz 486s...

In performance, perhaps; not in price--*unless* you're going with one of
the higher-priced name brands for the 486.  Yeah, if you go with Compaq or
IBM for a 486, you'll pay enough that you might be close to the price of
the 6000, else not.  (Remember, when pricing out a 6000, that you need a
*large* amount of disk before it's useful by itself.)
--
Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Simpler is better.