CONSENSYS SysV R4

Geraldo Veiga ilan343 at violet.berkeley.edu
Thu Jun 13 16:43:53 AEST 1991

This week's UNIX Today has a full page add for Consensys announcing
their 386/486 SysV R4.  $395 for an unlimited license (in quantities of
5).  Development system, networking and X-Window are extra.

Now for the odd part.  The X-Window package includes NeWS as one its
features.  Is this for real?  Is any part of NeWS part of SysV R4?
I am sure the PostScript engine is not included.

The add has this fake news column explaining the product, it closes
with the following:

"UNIX is becoming a standard product, so why pay a lot of extra money
to people who pretend otherwise?"

I wish this could actually be true.  The add implies that Consensys is
passing to their customers the same code that they get from AT&T or
whoever else licenses SysV source.

Questions:

Has anyone ever heard of Consensys?

How much of PC-AT architecture specific code is  included in AT&T's
licensed source?  I mean boring things like support for ESDI, SCSI, VGA
cards and so on.  Did ESIX, ISC, DELL and UHC write their own device
drivers?