ISC TCP/IP 1.2 hangs?

Rich Brennan brennan at merk.UUCP
Tue Jun 11 15:18:17 AEST 1991

In article <1991Jun06.224153.209 at pinhead.pegasus.com> todd at pinhead.pegasus.com (Todd Ogasawara) writes:
.I'm having a problem with ISC's TCP/IP 1.2 and wanted to get some
.confirmation before I make a call to ISC and start complaining...
.
.Couple of pieces of information...
.1. I'm running ISC TCP/IP 1.2 under ISC UNIX 2.2 on an Everex 386/33
.   with 8MB RAM and an 80387. I have a WD8003 ethernet card for use
.   with TCP/IP.

It looks like a few people are taking the pipe on this one. I've got the
same (and other) problems. Wild guess: WD8003 or the WD8003 driver have
problems with "high speed" machines, e.g. race conditions in the driver.

.3. My problem is that I've noticed that TCP/IP 1.2 is hanging on me
.   about once a week now. Sessions will abruptly hang. The processes
.   and session are still showing as active as reported by 'ps' and
.   'netstat'. However, there is no way to ping the ISC UNIX box from a
.   remote station. The ISC UNIX box itself appears to be running ok, except
.   for that fact that all network capabilities are lost (it can't ping a
.   remote station either).

I'm able to induce this easily, too. See if TCP/IP is really hung: ping
"localhost". When my machine hangs, localhost still responds to pings,
meaning the trouble is not in TCP/IP, but in the ethernet controller/driver
subsystem.

Another posting here (a reply to my earlier whining) said ISC is working on
these bugs. In the meantime, I'm going to try to snag a 3c503 card to see
if that driver is more robust.

Rich
--
brennan at merk.com	...!uunet!merk!brennan		Rich Brennan