Need Dos/Unix on one machine

phillips at qut.edu.au phillips at qut.edu.au
Thu Mar 28 00:35:42 AEST 1991

I have a network of 386/386sx machines running AT&T system V release 4.0 and
possibly DOS.  The two 386's will act as fileservers with the 386sx
workstations mounting filesystems from the servers.

What I would like to do is have each machine run both DOS and
UNIX with the user allowed to choose rather than having half dedicated Dos
machines and the other half dedicated Unix mahines.  From reading this newsgroup I know
it has been done multiple times but I  have a major limitation. That is	the
 workstations have only a 40MB hard disk. The installation  of the SYSV Unix
 demands 97% of the hard disk as the minimum  configuration. This leaves
 a grand total of 1.2MB for DOS.
What I need is something like
  1) pc-nfs or LAN manager to mount the needed DOS
filesystems from the server and a boot program like "bootmenu" to give the user
the chose. (I have tried this, pc-nfs install program complains that there
isn't enough space and the bootmenu program would boot my unix partition)
or 2) do away with the DOS partition and have a DOS emulation program for
the Unix, something like dosmerge or vpix.

If anyone can help or suggest alternatives I would be mightly grateful.
Also , help with getting bootmenu going would be great.
Please e-mail me at doug at water.fit.qut.edu.au or the above address.

Doug Phillips
Faculty of Info Tech
QUT