ISC Multi-User Extension

Dave McLane davidg%aegis.or.jp at kyoto-u.ac.jp
Wed Mar 6 00:28:14 AEST 1991

sking at nowhere.uucp (Steven King) writes:

>    sysadm IS a script on my copy of 2.2, or rather a set of scripts;
>   _/usr/admin/menu/ttymgmt/modtty_ is the actual one that generates that
>  message. It checks the file _/usr/options/.license_ ; it should contain
>  a single ascii char _3_ for the multi-user license. (not that it appears
>  to make a difference for actualy running a multiuser system)

Thanks. Somebody sent that to me in mail and I've just posted a
summary.

>    When I installed my upgrade to 2.2, the multi-user disk developed an
>  error in the midst of the installation and bombed out, leaving me with
>  a partially upgraded system (2.2 but not multi-user).  Being rather
>  irratated that I was going to have to go back to 2.0.2 or wait till they
>  replaced my disk, I went ahead and fsck'd it. To my surprise it was able
>  to fix the disk and I was able to finish the installation.

I neglected to mention that I tried that: fsck said it couldn't fix
it. Also not mentioned for the sake of brevity is that after I
pulled the disk out of the drive I noticed the little round widget
that had been cut out of the disk cover for the timing hole was
stuck between the disk and the cover. Next time I'll check....

--Dave