Stacker card, DOS, & Esix

Steve Oster U09762 at uicvm.uic.edu
Sun Mar 31 01:28:47 AEST 1991

Does anyone have experience with the Stacker card?  It is a card that
fits in your expansion slot and does data compression / decompression
on the fly, whenever you write to / read from your disk.  From what
I've read it seems to work well with DOS, and actually speeds up disk
operations.  However, my PC's hard disk is partitioned 1/2 for DOS &
1/2 Unix (Esix SVR3.2 rev. D).  Does anyone know if the Stacker will
work with this type of setup?

My primary need is to compress DOS files
(especially in light of the "rumored" disk requirements for ESIX V4),
although compressing Unix files wouldn't be so bad either.

I believe
that there is a "TSR" version of Stacker for DOS, but I would like to
stay away from TSR's if possible, especially when they have to be 100%
reliable 100% of the time.

Thanks

Steven I. Oster
U09762 at uicvm.uic.edu