sendmail on SCO ODT + uucp

flon at pollux.usc.edu flon at pollux.usc.edu
Tue Mar 26 09:02:53 AEST 1991

We are having a peculiar problem with sendmail, and I would
appreciate any ideas, suggestions, or solutions.

Sendmail is running on an SCO ODT 1.0 system, which is our UUCP
gateway.  The problem appears sending UUCP mail from other hosts on
our Lan to UUCP sites.  It works fine delivering, via SMTP, to all
our local machines, and sometimes works OK when sending, via UUCP,
to other hosts.

The probem is that it will someimes get into a state where it says
"Cannot exec '/usr/bin/uux' errno=13".  This doesn't seem to be a
problem when sending UUCP mail from the local (ODT) system, but
rather when another systemon our networkis attempting to get it to
send UUCP mail.  Once it gets into this state where it will only
send local UUCP mail, the only solution appears to be to kill and
restart sendmail.

The permission on /usr/in/uux are:
---s--x--x   1 uucp     uucp       63408 Dec 09 1989 /usr/bin/uux
so it should be runnable by anyone.

I have run out of ideas.  Please reply via email, and I'll summarize
for the net if anything useful surfacs.  Thanks.

Scott Simpers
Quality Software Products                    voice: (213)410-0303
5711 W Slauson Avenue  Suite 240             fax:   (213)410-0124
Culver City, CA  90230                      ...uunet!qsp!scotts