Problem compiling GCC on 386 machine

Ron Guilmette rfg at NCD.COM
Mon Mar 25 12:15:37 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar12.202245.18197 at cs.tcd.ie> ohurley at cs.tcd.ie (Oisin Hurley) writes:
+I'm trying to compile GCC 1.37.1 on a 386 with no 387. The Unix is
+Interactive's product. A certain piece of code causes my compiler to dump
+out with the message:
+
+	Fatal error in /lib/comp
+	Status 0213
+
+Ok, I realise this is a problem with the compiler I'm using and I need to
+get a proper compiler etc (that's why I'm trying to use gcc :-) but it would
+be *GREATLY* appreciated if somebody could email me and tell me WHAT could
+have caused this and is there a workaround, or what - I've a good idea
+that it has something to do with the target machine supposing to have a 387
+but is there any way that this assumption can be turned off?

It seems that Interactive *should* have supplied you with some code
(in the kernel I would imagine) which would do software emulation
of a 387 (when a real *hardware* 387 is not present).

Didn't you get that with your UNIX?  If not, why not?
--

// Ron ("Shoot From The Hip") Guilmette
// Internet: rfg at ncd.com      uucp: ...uunet!lupine!rfg