Why not 720k on 5.25" disks?

Dag Erik Lindberg del at fnx.UUCP
Mon Mar 25 04:45:26 AEST 1991

I think this has been hashed over before, but I didn't pay attention
the first time around.

Why can't I read 720k disks in the 5.25" drive under ISC?  It would
seem that everything is there.  That is, if the drive really is a
3.5", I can read/write 720k just fine.  If I put a 5.25" drive in
then I get only errors trying to read a 720k formatted diskette.

The correct nodes are still there, it doesn't require a kernel build
to recognize if a 720k drive is installed (does it dynamically from
CMOS at boot time as near as I can tell), and the 5.25" HD drive is
certainly electrically and mechanically capable of writing 720k disks.

What this sounds like is the driver has added complexity to prevent
you from doing something it doesn't think you "should" do.

Comments?

--
del AKA Erik Lindberg                             uunet!pilchuck!fnx!del
                          Who is John Galt?