IPX & NET3 under VP/ix

Rich Braun rbraun at spdcc.COM
Sun Mar 10 01:42:28 AEST 1991

ellis at epca.UUCP (Ellis Carter) writes:
>I am trying to connect to a Novell server using one of my vt's, IPX, and Net3.
>I also have NFS & TCP/IP running on this box....

I have a couple of followup questions to this one:

1)  Is it possible to do this under SCO Unix, as opposed to Interactive?
    If so, are there limitations as to which boards will work (for
    example, as I understand it DMA won't work under VP/ix)?

    SCO has claimed that its VP/ix will _not_ support any LAN card.  I refuse
    to believe this, considering Interactive wrote VP/ix and does support
    LAN cards under VP/ix.  My life would be much easier if I could get to the
    Novell LAN without having to shut down Unix.

2)  If running TCP/IP on the Unix system, would it not require a second
    LAN card to run IPX and Netware under VP/ix?  Or does the Unix TCP/IP
    driver serve as a packet driver, routing packets correctly between
    applications (as does the Clarkson driver I use with DOS systems)?

-rich