ISC 2.2 Hangs on disk I/O

Wm E. Davidsen Jr davidsen at sixhub.UUCP
Mon Mar 18 08:13:47 AEST 1991

In article <24113 at hydra.gatech.EDU> doug at pravda (Doug MacKenzie) writes:
| I have a Modular Circuit Technology's 25MHz cache 386 system.
| I have a Western Digital WD1006V-SR2 RLL controller with a Segate

|   Some times during disk I/O, the disk light will just stay on solid
|   and the system is locked up.  I can not get any response other than
|   turning the stupid thing off.

| Does anyone have any ideas?

  I think I know what the problem is, you see this with 1006 and 1007
disk controllers. SCO put a fix in their driver for it, which cure the
problem. ISC hasn't figured it out, as far as I know, and at one time
was blaming it on the controller.

  This family of controllers has a possibility of returning interrupts
in an unusual way. Since it's documented to be possible I can't call it
a bug. Replacing the controller will probably fix it, switching to SCO
will definitely fix it.

  ISC may have a fix by now, I haven't been tracking it.
--
bill davidsen - davidsen at sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX