How to config your vedio subsystem for X386 (was Re: X386 1.1)

David Dawes dawes at suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU
Fri Mar 8 15:58:38 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar7.014948.18583 at leland.Stanford.EDU> fangchin at leland.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:
>In article <1991Mar6.213907.28719 at maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> rrsum at matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Rick Summerhill) writes:
>>I am currently using Tom Roell's X386 1.1 with ISC 2.2.1 and have some
>>questions:
>>
>>1.  I get errors from Xlib about too many clients.  I have 32 pty's and
>>    32 streams ports, so that is not the problem.  Anyone know why?
>
>I don't have ISC, can't help you on that. But...
>
>>2.  Does anyone have a good 1024x768 configuration for a Sigma Legend card.
>>    My monitor will go to 66 Mhz.  Can 1152x900 be used in non-interlaced
>>    mode with this monitor configuration?
>
>OK.  I think it's time to sweep away some confusing terminologies introduced
>by marketing people at monitor manufacturers.  Monitors NEVER support Mhz
>which is by definition, million cycles by second.

The "MHz" quoted with respect to a monitor is its bandwidth, and IS important.
If the dot-clock on your video card is pumping out stuff at 65MHz, and your
monitor's bandwith is only 40MHz, the resulting image won't be very sharp.
The monitor's bandwith is a measure of the max frequency you can modulate
its e-beam(s).

David