Using SLIP between Dell SVR4 and Xyplex Maxserver

Larry Campbell campbell at redsox.bsw.com
Wed Mar 6 15:50:40 AEST 1991

Has anyone out there ever successfully used SLIP, where either end is either
a Dell SVR4 box or a Xyplex Maxserver terminal server?  I can't get it to
work and I'm looking for clues.

I have a Dell 310 at home running Dell SVR4; at work we have a Xyplex
Maxserver terminal server.  I can follow both cookbooks (Dell's and
Xyplex's) for setting up node numbers, dialing out (slipdialout), and
tossing the Maxserver into SLIP mode.  Everything seems to go ok, with no
error messages, but SLIP never comes up.

I lugged a datascope home the other night and slapped it on the modem; when
I start up slip and ping the terminal server, I see one IP packet (looks
well-formed, as far as I can tell without computing the header CRC by hand)
going from my 386 to the terminal server, followed by one IP packet
returning from the terminal server.  Then the 386 sends ten or so more
packets, getting a big silence in return, and finally ping times out.
netstat shows one packet sent and zero received (and zero errors) over the
interface.  All the packets look OK, including packet numbers and addresses.

I know the serial port hardware is OK because uucp, cu, kermit, etc. all
work over it just fine.

Clues?  Am I missing something obvious?  Anyone?
--
Larry Campbell             The Boston Software Works, Inc., 120 Fulton Street
campbell at redsox.bsw.com    Boston, Massachusetts 02109 (USA)