Low disk throughput on Xenix 2.3.2/1542B/wren V

Phil Eschallier phil at ls.com
Sat Mar 16 00:49:21 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar15.055352.20092 at simasd.uucp> jcurtis at baron..uucp (Jay Curtis) writes:
>Hi.
>	I am having a problem with SCO Xenix 2.3.2GT and very low disk
>transfer rates.  Here is my configuration:
>33 MHz 386 w/387
>8 Meg ram
>128K cache
>Adaptec 1542B DMA=5 irq=11 i/o base=330, bios enabled, 5 Meg DMA transfer rate
>Wren V 330 Meg SCSI drive
>Archive 2150S tape drive
>Digiboard Com8/i Serial card
>WD8003 ethernet card
>With this config, I am only able to get 124K Bytes/sec. throughput under
>Xenix.  Under Dos I get 496 K Bytes/sec.  Under ISC Unix, similar rates
>to Dos.  Is there a known problem with the scsi drivers under Xenix?
>Why would throughput be so low?  Running the same config except for the
>drives and controller (substitue in a wd1003 controller and Maxtor 2190)
>gave me double the disk throughput.  Why???

	i have a very similar configuration here ... a 20mhz 386, 8 meg ram,
	adaptec 1542b (configured as you do) and an xt-8760s ...
	the differences are i have don't linked the xnx155b (upgrade to
	2.3.3) and xnx252b (new adaptec scsi driver) -- i have now getting
	about 383k bytes/sec thoughtput.  i did not run any test prior
	to SLS'ing my system but i feel that the response time is noticably
	faster.

	now a question for folks out there using a similar configuration.
	when i bring down the systems (via a haltsys or reboot), i must
	press the reset button to affect a hard reset before the computer
	will recognize the adaptec scsi controller -- do i have my system
	set up wrong or is there no way to reboot xenix without a hard
	reset (ie reset button or cycle the power) ???

--
Phil Eschallier     |  E-Mail to:                    US Mail to:
                    |   INET: phil at ls.com             248B Union Street
Lagniappe Systems   |   UUCP: ...!uunet!lgnp1!phil    Doylestown, PA  18901
Computer Services   |    CIS: 71076,1576              VOICE: +1 215 348 9721