Low disk throughput on Xenix 2.3.2/1542B/wren V

Jay Curtis jcurtis at baron..uucp
Fri Mar 15 15:53:52 AEST 1991

Hi.
	I am having a problem with SCO Xenix 2.3.2GT and very low disk
transfer rates.  Here is my configuration:

33 MHz 386 w/387
8 Meg ram
128K cache
Adaptec 1542B DMA=5 irq=11 i/o base=330, bios enabled, 5 Meg DMA
	transfer rate
Wren V 330 Meg SCSI drive
Archive 2150S tape drive
Digiboard Com8/i Serial card
WD8003 ethernet card

With this config, I am only able to get 124K Bytes/sec. throughput under
Xenix.  Under Dos I get 496 K Bytes/sec.  Under ISC Unix, similar rates
to Dos.  Is there a known problem with the scsi drivers under Xenix?
Why would throughput be so low?  Running the same config except for the
drives and controller (substitue in a wd1003 controller and Maxtor 2190)
gave me double the disk throughput.  Why???

Is there anything I can do to increase the thoughput of this system?
(please say yes...please!!)

--Jay

--
Jay Curtis