Esix verses the rest of 386-unix

Bob Willcox bob at rancor.UUCP
Tue Mar 12 23:48:25 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar10.211104.9790 at cimcor.mn.org> mike at cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
>From article <293 at rancor.UUCP>, by bob at rancor.UUCP (Bob Willcox):
>> In article <9044 at sail.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe at sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
  (deleted) stuff about performance of ESIX vs. ISC filesytems

>ESIX seems to default to a rather small amount of buffers. This
>may be for those sites with little memory. If you have alot, up the
>FFSBUFFERS in /etc/conf/cf.d/stune to something bigger. I think
>this parameter refers to the number of 8K buffers reserved.

I have set FFSBUFFERS on my system to 256 (total of 2MB) which did help
overall system performance, though sequential read performance was
unchanged (as you would expect).

>Up the value NBUF made a huge difference on this box with the
>S51K systems. FFS didn't seem reliable on this RLL drive but the
>S51K stuff works great.

Since I only use FFS, I set NBUF low (100, probably could have gone
lower though) since I don't think they are being used.  (Does anyone
know if the 1KB buffers are ever used if you don't have any S51K
filesystems?)

--
Bob Willcox             ...!{rutgers|ames}!cs.utexas.edu!romp!rancor!bob
Phone: 512 258-4224