Esix verses the rest of 386-unix

Michael Grenier mike at cimcor.mn.org
Mon Mar 11 07:11:04 AEST 1991

>From article <293 at rancor.UUCP>, by bob at rancor.UUCP (Bob Willcox):
> In article <9044 at sail.LABS.TEK.COM> keithe at sail.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) writes:
>>I concurr with Lary's note - ESIX Rev. D disk/file-system speed is greatly
>>improved over earlier versions, but this statement essentailly amounts to
>>"condemnation with faint praise."  ISC (mine is 2.0.2) is noticably faster.
>
> Okay, I'll accept that.  However, just to appease my curiosity and to
> give me a point of reference, can you tell me what the performance of
> the ISC filesystem is?

ESIX seems to default to a rather small amount of buffers. This
may be for those sites with little memory. If you have alot, up the
FFSBUFFERS in /etc/conf/cf.d/stune to something bigger. I think
this parameter refers to the number of 8K buffers reserved.

If you don't use FFS, set this very low since it eats your memory.

Up the value NBUF made a huge difference on this box with the
S51K systems. FFS didn't seem reliable on this RLL drive but the
S51K stuff works great.

   -Mike grenier
    mike at cimcor.mn.org