Why can't elves cough? (terminology)

john.s.dyson dyson at cbnewsk.att.com
Thu Mar 14 14:29:40 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar14.001906.29397 at ico.isc.com>, rcd at ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
> To clarify some points which seemed confused in the discussion between Sean
> Fagan and Mike Burg:  The terms "BCS" and "ABI" refer to different animals,
> although they're both of the same species (a definition of a "system inter-
> face for compiled application programs").
>
> Background: SVID == System V Interface Definition - definition of the
> programs, system calls, libraries, etc.
>
> BCS == Binary Compatibility Specification:  This is the V.3.2 animal; it
> refers to SVID 2nd edition; COFF spoken here.  COFF == Common Object File
> Format.  BCS is undergoing extensive revision (mostly extension) to cover
> things not present in the original version.  You'll hear this work called
> "BCS2".
>
> ABI == Application Binary Interface:  This is the V.4 animal; it refers to
> SVID 3rd edition; ELF is a part of it.  ELF == Executable and Linking
> Format.  However, note that V.4 will provide support for BCS (and there-
> fore can run COFF programs).  I don't know, but I would not expect support
> for ELF on V.3.2 systems--why retrofit it, rather than just go to V.4?

> 	ABI	V.4	ELF	SVID 3
> --
> Dick Dunn     rcd at ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
>    ...But is it art?

Note that at least AT&T SVR3.2.2 can run ELF and a Software generation system
is available that produces ELF files for SVR3.2.2.  I do not know if the
SVR3.2.2 support is a subset or not though.  The ANSI compiler in fact
is an ELF format file.  The tools such as dis, etc can convert COFF
to ELF automatically.

John Dyson
inuxy.att.com