Question: Smart SCSI controllers for PCs under UNIX

Oliver Sharp oliver at karakorum.berkeley.edu
Tue Mar 12 04:34:12 AEST 1991

Hi ... I'm thinking about putting a SCSI drive in my machine together with
an SVR4 UNIX (Dell or ISC).  I'm wondering if any of you have experience
with some of the smart controllers and have comments on their performance
in comparison to the Adaptec 1542B.  I talked to PSI about the hyperStore
and they said it works fine with ISC and they are working out some problem
with the Dell driver.  This was a few weeks ago, so they may have gotten
it squared away by now.

  What I'm most interested in is fast compiles and fast swap.  I'd appreciate
any comments along the lines of:
  - the PSI turns your machine from molasses into greased quicksilver
  - if you are rich, go for it, but it is a marginal improvement
  - don't bother.

I've mostly looked at the PSI but I'd also be interested in comments on
alternatives like the DPT.  I will summarize responses to the net ...

- Oliver

P.S.  I posted the same question to the scsi group, but didn't get any