BUG IN INTERACTIVE UNIX - WHERE IS THE FIX ?????

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Sat Mar 16 15:48:49 AEST 1991

In article <2037 at ssbn.WLK.COM> bill at ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) writes:
>>lumpi at dobag.in-berlin.de (Joern Lubkoll) writes:
>
>[ wants to know where the fix is, I followed up that article a couple
>  of days ago reporting that I had received mine in the USnail ]
>
>karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM (Karl Denninger) follows up:
>>
>>According to the sources I have with a major distributor of ISC, there is no
>>fix yet.  I hammered them on this yesterday (again).
>
>Gosh Karl, I think that you need better sources or a minor distributor of ISC.

Well, consider that the distributor is Multiuser Systems, which used to be
ISC Hollis.  We still don't have the disks.  I've received email from Marty
asking if I'd like a copy direct, and replied affirmitive along with a
surface mail address.

I'm waiting now to see if ISC can get them here directly.

>all four...  Several days ago I reported that the diskettes arrived here and
>the same day Marty Stewart reported that they were shipping.  Please disclose
>either your source or the distributor so that we can put them on our "don't
>go near beaux eaux" list.

See above.

>There's no love lost between you and Interactive; me neither for that matter.

This is true.  And Multiuser Systems (prior ISC Hollis) has been darn good
about getting SSU disks to me in the past.  Christine told me they weren't
available several days after the supposed availability date, and I still
don't have them.

It's not a big deal for ddsw1, since I have a math chip (and know how to
patch kernels; I didn't even have to rebuild).  But it is for a few people
who have purchased the product from me!

>to a lawsuit.  It might call itself a license agreement, but it's an as-is
>warranty.  I was going to email rather than post but your article is so blown
>out of proportion that I think it might mislead someone who doesn't know your
>feelings about ISC and who might think that you had followed published
>procedures to get the fix and had been declined.

Actually, rather interesting that you directed followups to /dev/null, isn't it?

>Let's join forces and flame
>ISC for something real, not some misinformation from an (by definition)
>unreliable and anonymous source.

With the fixes that I already have, plus this one for the gaping hole, I
would be quite happy.  I have a darn good uptime record around here, and am
overall happy with the product.  I am NOT happy with this kind of security
problem, even if it doesn't affect me (it does affect some of my customers!).

(Btw, the TCP/IP and NFS fixes DO appear to correct one of the more blatent
problems with the TCP part of the system.  I no longer experience hangs
during heavy usage.  Now if Sun could get their software to work this well
:-)

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]