Esix verses the rest of 386-unix

Mike Burg mburg at unix386.Convergent.COM
Wed Mar 13 05:45:16 AEST 1991

In article <294 at rancor.UUCP>, bob at rancor.UUCP (Bob Willcox) writes:
# >From article <293 at rancor.UUCP>, by bob at rancor.UUCP (Bob Willcox):
# >Up the value NBUF made a huge difference on this box with the
# >S51K systems. FFS didn't seem reliable on this RLL drive but the
# >S51K stuff works great.
#
# Since I only use FFS, I set NBUF low (100, probably could have gone
# lower though) since I don't think they are being used.  (Does anyone
# know if the 1KB buffers are ever used if you don't have any S51K
# filesystems?)

You can set NBUF to probably as low as 10 (ten). You cannot set it
to zero because there are portions of the kernel (namely device drivers)
which use getebuf() to retrieve a buffer to perform I/O. The ECHD driver
uses it to retrieve the VTOC/PDINFO blocks from the disk upon opening of
a drive.