SysVR4.0.2 /dev/lp and online man pages problems

Andrew Herbert herbie at dec08.cs.monash.edu.au
Wed Mar 13 15:34:56 AEST 1991

Hello all,

I am running UHC SysVR4 revision 2 on a 4MB 386.  My main problem is
I cannot get any sense from /dev/lp0.  While the machine is starting
up, the epson-compat. printer connected to /dev/lp0 (lpt1 for dos)
is held reset (via the appropriate Centronics line).  This doesn't
change once unix is fully booted, but during a dos 3.31 boot the
initialise line is released and the printer becomes ready.

The printer works fine under dos 3.31.  A simple test program I wrote
to open("dev/lp0", O_WRONLY); write() a line of text and close() hung
during the close() call.  When open() was specified as non-blocking
(O_NONBLOCK), the program executed fully, but no printer output resulted.
Ideas anyone?

I'm also rather annoyed that I do not have a full set of online man pages.  I
only have pages on what seems like less than half of the executables that
came with the system.  I'm missing pages on things like fdisk, mount, umount,
ckfs, disksetup, mkpart, mkfs, scsiformat and mtune.  Is this usual for
SysVR4 in general?  Is it the experience of other UHC owners?

I've asked UHC about these inadequacies, but they have not yet replied
in what has been nearly two weeks.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew Herbert
herbie at bruce.cs.monash.edu.au