SysV Ethernet driver problems

Rasmus Lerdorf rasmus at napc.uucp
Thu Mar 14 08:18:39 AEST 1991

I am running AT&T V/386 Rel 3.2.2 on a Dell 425E (486-EISA).
I have a Wangtek 150 Meg tape drive using IRQ 5.  COM1 is using IRQ4 and
I have a 3c503 (3-Com ethernet card) which defaults to use IRQ3.  This
means I lose my second serial port.  That sucks!

I tried getting the ethernet card to run on software IRQ9 (HW2), but it
didn't seem to work.  That sucks too.

So I am running the ethernet card on IRQ3 and I have a 386 running PC/NFS
over the ethernet.  It seems to work fine.  That doesn't suck.

However, when I boot the unix machine I get two ethernet related errors:
	enetreset: cannot open device: no such device or address
	i552pump:  cannot open device: no such device
Everything still seems to work, but I hate errors, so that sucks as well.

Questions:

1) 	Is there any reason I shouldn't be able to run the ethernet card on
	IRQ9?  (I stuck a 9 in the e3B device file.)

2)	Where are those errors coming from at boot-time, and if they really
	mean what I think they mean, why does my ethernet still work?

3)	I have a 3c505 card sitting here.  16-bit as opposed to 8-bit
	ethernet card.  The AT&T TCP manuals don't mention this card as
	being supported, has anybody tried it?  Will it work?

--
Rasmus Lerdorf    calgary!ajfcal!napc!rasmus       1020-64 Ave NE, Calgary
NovAtel Advanced Product Concept Development       Alberta, Canada T2E 7V8