Low-cost 386 system

john gay jgay at digi.lonestar.org
Thu Mar 21 02:20:44 AEST 1991

>From article <11980 at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>, by michaely at uhunix1.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Michael Yokoyama):
> I would appreciate suggestions on models/vendors to construct a 386
> system from scratch.  Complete system would have:
>
>      - 386/33 processor                    - 64K Cache RAM
>      - 4MB main RAM                        - 100 MB or more hard disk
>      - 3-1/2 and 5-1/4 high density drives - SuperVGA or VGA card & monitor
>      - 1 parallel and 1 serial port        - Mouse
>
> Best price so far is Gateway 2000 for complete system.  They want 2795
> for a 80MB system.  Please email replies, I'll summarize and post the results.
>
> --
> --
>   Michael M. Yokoyama                  Graduate Student; University of Hawaii
>   michaely at uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu      21 deg. 19' N; 157 deg. 52' W

Michael,
I tried emailing this to you, but it kept bouncing - so I decided to post.
I have compiled a partial list of vendors from PC Week magazine.  If you
know someone that takes PC Week (maybe one of the sys admins or a prof)
then you should get a copy and look in the classified section for a complete
list.  If you order from any of these companies then let me know of your
experiences.  I am trying to keep the list up to date.

john gay.

International Data Systems (IDS): no address given
no personal or friends experience check with the net
				Sales:   (714)530-8677
				Support: (714)530-8697
				Fax:     (714)530-0815
Motherboards (AMI, Micronics, Mylex)
Hard Drives (CDC/Imprimis, Maxtor, Conner, Micropolis, Fujitsu)
Network stuff (Novell, 3com, arcnet, Western Digital)
Visa/MasterCard/AMEX

Washburn & Co., Distributors: no address given
no personal or friends experience check with the net
				Sales:   (800)836-8026
				Fax:     (716)381-7549
Motherboards (AMI)
Visa/MasterCard

PC Pros: 8205 S. Cass Ave.; Darien, IL 60559
no personal or friends experience check with the net
				Sales:   (708)810-1010
				Fax:     (708)810-9490
Motherboards (AMI)
Hard Drives (Maxtor, Microscience)
Coprocessors
Visa/MasterCard/AMEX

USM Distributors: 43104 Christy St; Fremont, CA 94538
no personal or friends experience check with the net
				Sales:   (415)623-9040
				     :   (415)952-5885
				     :   (714)255-0113
				     :   (408)980-0602
				Fax:     (415)623-7592
Motherboards (AMI, Micronics, Mylex, Omnitel)
Systems
does not say what credit cards

Memory:

The Chip Merchant: 9541 Ridgehaven Court, Suite A; San Diego, CA 92123
had friend(s) buy from (will sell to individuals at price + 10%
(from a friend's order 1.5 yrs ago) better ask)
				Sales:   (619)268-4774
				Fax:     (619)268-0874
RAM, processors, co-processors, etc.
No credit cards accepted (from add - although I think my friend bought using
                          a VISA)

ELKCO Corp.: 2 Hawthorne St; N. Grafton, MA 01536
1 recommendation from the net
				Sales:   (800)24-ELKCO (I guess they all are)
				     :   (508)839-2111
				Fax:     (508)839-7753
RAM, processors, co-processors, etc.
VISA/Mastercard

Peripheral Outlet: 314 S. BDWY; Ada, OK 74820
1 recommendation from the net
				Sales:   (800)332-6581
				     :   (405)332-6581
				Fax:     (405)436-2245
RAM, processors, co-processors, etc.
VISA/Mastercard (add 3%)

Sabina International: 675 Brea Canyon Road, Sutie #5; Walnut, CA 91789
had friend(s) buy from
1 DISrecommendation from the net "prices advertised are large lot prices, they
ship slowly, and they don't have anyone there who speaks English well enough to
find a restroom."
				Sales:   (800)2-SABINA  (cute, huh?)
				     :   (714)594-6336
				Fax:     (714)595-4008
RAM, processors, co-processors, etc.
VISA/Mastercard

Turbo Computer: 674 Foxon Rd.; East Haven, CT 06512
no personal or friends experience check with the net
				Sales:   (800)822-8386
				     :   (203)469-8857
				Fax:     (203)468-7507
RAM, processors, co-processors, etc.
VISA/Mastercard/Discover

BJS Electronics: 1400 Coleman Ave., Suite H18; Santa Clara, CA 95050
no personal or friends experience check with the net
				Sales:   (800)334-CHIP (another cute one)
				     :   (408)748-9762
				Fax:     (408)748-0284
RAM, processors, co-processors, etc.
VISA/Mastercard/COD

Sigma Data: Scytheville Row; P.O. Box 1790; New London, NH 03257
no personal or friends experience check with the net
				Sales:   (800)446-4525
				     :   (603)526-6909
				Fax:     (603)526-6915
RAM, processors, co-processors, etc.