a better analogy for the warranty discussion?

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Thu Mar 21 15:46:33 AEST 1991

In article <3X4AKI at xds13.ferranti.com> peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>And what would happen if you took your old Datsun or your K&R1 back and
>demanded your money back because you weren't satisfied?

That would depend on why you weren't satisfied and whether your state
has a lemon law or not.  In 1983 my wife had a year-old Datsun that
the dealer was unable to fix so it wouldn't stall during the first
10 minutes of running.  The dealer traded for a new one for about
$1000 (and that one is still running). Since then, the laws have
changed. I think now the dealer would have to have given a full refund
or replace it with one that worked (but we no longer live in Wisconsin).

I liked the book anology but it kind of misses the funtional aspect
of software.  I'd compare a buggy program to something like an
engineering or medical reference where mistakes are more than an
inconvienience.  Is there a precedent for handling mistakes in a
published work where errors cause actual damage to occur?

Les Mikesell
  les at chinet.chi.il.us