a better analogy for the warranty discussion?

John G. DeArmond jgd at Dixie.Com
Thu Mar 21 18:47:41 AEST 1991

peter at ficc.ferranti.com (Peter da Silva) writes:

>In article <8273 at rsiatl.Dixie.Com> jgd at Dixie.Com (John G. DeArmond) writes:
>> What this discussion is converging into is the idea that software is
>> no different than any other merchandised product such as automobiles
>> or books.

>And what would happen if you took your old Datsun or your K&R1 back and
>demanded your money back because you weren't satisfied?

If I were the Datsun dealer?  Why I'd cheerfully give him his money back
because a) the car is now worth more as a collectors' item than it cost
new b) I'd know that the use of his money had made me many time over as
much in the 17 years and c) I'd know that I could generate enough local
media attention because of such an unusual transaction that I'd make any
losses back in short order.  I can see the headlines now: "Car dealer
refunds disgruntled owner's money after 17 years."

Of course, you did not ask what the gating function would be in this
instance.  I'm sure that with a bit of thought, an appropriate function
could be devised to limit the car dealers' exposure.

John

John

--
John De Armond, WD4OQC        | "Purveyors of speed to the Trade"  (tm)
Rapid Deployment System, Inc. |  Home of the Nidgets (tm)