Dell "Support" for Dell machines

Karl Denninger karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM
Sun Mar 10 06:27:06 AEST 1991

In article <534 at psitech.com> bob at psitech.com (Bob Posert) writes:

>I've been reading in various messages about Dell's wonderful support
>and would like to present an alternate view.

.... (lots deleted)

>It looks to me like Dell is a DOS company that sells UNIX.  I'd prefer
>to buy from a company that sells mated software and hardware, and will
>recommend purchases of real workstations in the future.  Suns are
>looking better all the time.

Don't do that!

Get some MIPS workstations instead.  They're cheaper, and they work.

If you want an idea of how well Sun supports their machines, look in
alt.sys.sun.  There's a nice treatise in there from a user on this system
about the problems he's had with the Sun machines.

I can say from hard experience that he is absolutely CORRECT.  Don't get
yourself a BIG and EXPENSIVE disappointment.  Buy something OTHER than Sun.

--
Karl Denninger (karl at ddsw1.MCS.COM, <well-connected>!ddsw1!karl)
Public Access Data Line: [+1 708 808-7300], Voice: [+1 708 808-7200]