ISC TCP & Twisted-Pair Ethernet

Ben Taylor bent at lccinc.UUCP
Fri Mar 15 11:59:17 AEST 1991

stlouis at unixg.ubc.ca (Phill St. Louis) writes:

>Has anyone had problem getting Interactive Unix 2.2 TCP/IP to work with
>twisted pair ethernet.  We are using 3COMM 3C503 ethernet boards with
>built-in tranceivers.  Our ethernet hub is SynOptics 10BASE-T.  These
>3COMM boards work perfectly with PC-NFS.  The ethernet works perfectly
>with our Sun Sparcstations, GatorBox and PC-NFS, but Interactive TCP/IP
>will not allow us to PING, or TELNET or RLOGIN or whatever.

We too run a very similar setup.  The problem we had was that when we set
up sendmail, it puts nameserver in /etc/resolve.conf, even though we told
it we did not have a name server.  According to ISC support, this is a known
bug.  We changed the nameserver to nonameserver, and everything came up
like a champ.  (By the way, we could use numeric addresses to do things
like ping and telnet.  If you have set up sendmail, and can ping a numeric
address, then this might be the solution to your problem.)

>P. St. Louis

Ben Taylor
Systems Administrator
LCC Incorporated