System on the blink

Usenet news administrator news at rushpc
Sun Mar 3 07:22:43 AEST 1991

Recently I posted an article describing how my system went on the blink.
The symptoms were:  /bin/rn couldn't open /dev/tty, /usr/bin/pg could not
re-open stdout, and the console DELETE key quit working.  I received many
helpful suggestions and would like to thank everyone that replied to the
trouble.

I fixed the problem by removing the file /etc/default/cron.  I recently
created this file with the sole contents of: CRONLOG=YES.  This was done
to turn on cron logging after reading about it in this newsgroup.
Just to make sure it was not a fluke, I re-created the file again with the
above entry, and my problems returned.  I've read the sysadm manual and
was not enlightened in any way.

Is it possible that this is a bug in AT&T SVR3.2.2.1 or am I overlooking
something, possibly in inittab?

--

J. Rushford
...uunet!rushpc!jjr