BRU advertisement??

Tim Jones timj at maynhbd.UUCP
Sun Mar 24 09:10:03 AEST 1991

In article <10246 at unix.cis.pitt.edu>, cgwst at unix.cis.pitt.edu (Gray Watson) writes:
> Howdy:
> I got a letter in the mail the other day from an unknown friend Jeff.  The
> note is written on a copied page of the Denver Computer Journal.  The copy
>    (Stuff deleted)
> Now, I could be wrong so I am not going to flame BRU til I'm sure.

Gray, did you ever think that this was maybe just a direct mail marketing
campaign?  About a year ago, the folks that make _Smart Food Popcorn_ did
something similar with a series of postcards from a 'Ken' in Boston.  There
is nothing fraudulent about this.  Apparently your name is on some UNIX
related mailing list that EST purchased.

Do you complaign when UNIX Today sends you a bingo card for a free
subscription?  How about when Ed McMahon tells you (via unsolicited mail)
that you may have won ten gadzillion dollars?  The folks at EST are just
trying to be a little more creative in making market contacts than with
a simple 'This is our product - It does this well - tastes great - lasts a
long time - won't kill your dog if he sniffs it!' type of ad.

Oh yes, the _Smart Food_ white cheddar popcorn is great!  Also, BRU is
one of the most complete, across platform, data retrieval and recovery
utilities that I've ever tested, so maybe this fictitious 'Jeff' has
a good idea.

Not all direct mail campaigns are as straight-forward and boring as the
last grouping I received from an self-centered 4GL manufacturer!

Tim Jones			My opinions are my own (unless my wife's
...!uunet!maynhbd!timj          around when I write them ;-). )
or   timj at maynhbd.UUCP