STRANGE termcap-like problem

Dave Van Allen dave at kbvan.com
Fri Mar 22 17:08:52 AEST 1991

Any help will be _greatly_ appreciated!  We are having a problem with
what appears to be a termcap related symptom list.  Every so often, 6
times a day, someone will login on a terminal and get garbage and
control / formatting charactors:

     Instead of a line  _____________________________

     You get  \D\D\D\D\D\D\D\

Sometimes the terminal will fill completely up with garbage, top to
bottom. MOST of the time everything works fine.

There is NO pattern to this, it happens on all terminals including the
console.  Additionally, we are running filePro V3 as the engine to our
database mailorder program.  Occasionally when writing out the file with
"esc esc" the screen will attempt to redraw and over write part of the
previous screen. During this mess, something throws the pointer way off
on the input processing table, placing the user at a random position in
processing. Example: If "esc esc" was _suppose to_ write the record, clear
the screen and place the user in the ready for next record mode, when this
'glitch' occures, the record is NOT written, the next screen TRYS to write
and fails part way, and the user is thrown into a browse lookup.

There is NO way (we believe) that the processing is at fault because the
system has been up and running fine for a year. We have changed nothing.

Also we have checked the obvious, cables, connectors etc.  This is a big
problem for us and any, I mean ANY suggestions will be appreciated.

The system:     Tandy (I know!) 4000 [16mHz 386] 4 meg memory
                670 meg SCSI HD / SCSI TAPE BU
                SCO Xenix 2.3.2gt - NO SLS patches applied
		Tandy 4 port boards (2) Z80 buffered I think?
		Tandy DT-110 Terminals (6) Termcap from SCO

The software:   filePro V3.0 (Small Computer Co) 6-16 user version
		Custom programming for application

   Dave Van Allen

| Lehigh Software Systems --- (Medical Industry Software and Hardware)       |
| Van Allen and Associates -- (anything for a buck enterprises)              |
| Dave Van Allen - dave at kbvan.com    =internet    ------------------------   |
|                  uunet!kbvan!dave  =uucp       |  This SPACE for SALE   |  |
|                  CIS 73530,2463    =CompuServe  ------------------------   |
| "You'll never go forward unless you have something to look forward to"     |