THANKS!! Ghostscript FP exception solved

Stephen M. Youndt steve at hacker.uucp
Fri Mar 22 13:29:28 AEST 1991

Thanks to Dick Dunn <uunet!ico.isc.com!rcd> for the following:
>I didn't see your first posting, but I have built Ghostscript on ISC UNIX.
>There is a problem in some 386 C compilers in handling conditional ex-
>pressions involving floating-point; I found one such problem and just coded
>around it.
>
>With sdb, you're right, the connection to the source for a core dump is
>worthless.  However, you can get a stacktrace (t) to find out what
>procedure you were in, find the source file containing the procedure, and
>use the line number it gives you--that'll get you pretty close.

The problem was indeed a conditional.  In gsline.c around line 84 is an
expression using the ternary operator ( a ? b : c).  I recoded the statement
as an if-else statement, and ghostscript came up like a champ.

Thanks again to everybody that offered suggestions, and thanks, Dick, for
giving me the hints I needed to get this working.

smy
--
Stephen M. Youndt       /   "Remember, no matter where you go,
uunet!hacker!steve     /     there you are."  -- B. Banzai