SVr4 cpio anomaly?

Andy Crump andyc at bucky.intel.com
Fri Mar 1 21:18:30 AEST 1991

>>>>> On 27 Feb 91 21:59:22 GMT, davec at shared.uucp (Dave Close) said:

Dave> System:  386 with Intel SVr4v2.  No tape drive.

Dave> Problem:  Backup.  A 2 GB tape is available on the net.  I backup with the
Dave> command,

Dave> 	cd /; find . -print | cpio -o | rsh tapesys dd of=/dev/rmt1 obs=51200

Dave> It works reasonably well.  I try to verify the backup with the command,

Dave> 	rsh tapesys dd if=/dev/rmt1 | cpio -itv

Dave> I quickly abort the verify because disk activity and the messages output
Dave> indicate that cpio is actually restoring the files, NOT just displaying
Dave> their names.  I get messages about files being skipped since the disk version
Dave> is newer and messages about an inability to link files which are already
Dave> linked.  This doesn't seem right!  The man page for cpio clearly says that
Dave> "no files are created" when using the -t switch.

Dave> Is this a known bug or something I'm doing wrong?

I'm not sure.  This is not a bug in the next version at least.  I
tried it just as you described.  It works for me, even if I touch some
of the files after backing them up.  I did it as a mortal user rather
than root just to make sure and it work fine for me.  You are correct
in that the -t should not restore any files!  If it was a but in
SVR4.0.2 it doesn't seem to be a bug in the next version.  If you have
more info, I would be happy to try it out.

Dave> BTW, the man page for rsh on my system is linked to sh, that is, it is the
Dave> man page for a restricted shell.  But the rsh command is the expected remote
Dave> shell.  Seems like another minor slip-up.

Yup.  But this is the Online Manual package that is not normally a
part of the USL SVR4 distribution.  This was from the now defunct IMSO
group within Intel.  I don't believe there is any support for that
package.  You can check by calling 1-800-INTEL4U.
--

    -- Andy Crump

    ...!tektronix!reed!littlei!andyc | andyc at littlei.intel.com
    ...!uunet!littlei!andyc          | andyc at littlei.uu.net

Disclaimer: Any opinions expressed here are my own and
            not representive of Intel Corportation.