Problems with more than 35 telnet logins

Torkel Hasle torkel at bibsyst.no
Tue Mar 19 05:25:20 AEST 1991

        The  problem  is  that I can't log in more than  35  user  via
        telnet (Lachman TCP/IP version 3.0) on SCO-like machine, Altos
        series 5000 running Unix 5.3.2.  The kernel is linked with the
        parameter  NPTTYS  =  128,  and   there  is  128   pseudo-ttys
        (/dev/ptyp??   and  /dev/ttyp??)  with correct  ownership  and
        permissions.

        When user number 35 logs in, (s)he gets the message

                           All network ports in use

        and the telnetdaemon exits.

        Viewing  the source, it seems that the daemon cannot open  the
        pseudo-tty  as a plain device file.  There is unfortunately no
        errno  indicating  the error.  I have tried to  recompile  the
        standard Berkeley telnetd, but there is too much "handwork" to
        get  it to work under System V, even though I have the  socket
        lib.

        Anyone  who  has a clue?  Is there other restrictions that  is
        not documented?  I have asked Altos, but they don't seem to be
        able to help. Ti Kan, are you there?

        Please reply by mail, and I summarize on the net.

        Torkel Hasle