Booting Interactive UNIX in single user mode.

Don Christensen djc at Kesa.COM
Sat Mar 30 10:12:14 AEST 1991

jr at twisted.dkw.com (J.R. Jesson) writes:

>In article <MALCOLMP.91Mar27170147 at fungus.otca.oz>, malcolmp at otca.oz (Malcolm Purvis) writes:
>|>    So, is there anyway I can boot up the thing in single user mode so I can
>|>fix the stupid file?
>  (2) mount the root partition on /mnt.  You wont have the ls command on
>      the install diskette, so it may be tough to figure it out, but

There is a neat trick that is good to know about when there is no 'ls'
command available: use 'echo *'.  This certainly works in this situation,
I've used it.  The better solution is to put /mnt/bin in your path.  Or
just type /mnt/bin/ls.  If you don't know ed, then you will have to mount
/usr as well as / (it's easy if you mount it on /mnt/usr).

Seems to me that this discussion comes up every 3-6 months.  If it isn't
in the FAQ already, I think it should be put there.

Later,
	Don
--
Don Christensen  <=> djc at kesa.com     <=> "Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend;
Kesa Corporation <=> ...!mips!kesa!djc <=> they are all equal in the end."