Booting Interactive UNIX in single user mode.

Malcolm Purvis malcolmp at otca.oz
Wed Mar 27 17:01:47 AEST 1991

    The installation of a new network device and driver on one of our
Interactive 2.0.2 machines has resulted in an error in the /etc/netd.cf file
and so /etc/netd fails when the machine reboots.  This has had the useful side
effect of hanging the reboot sequence so I never get a login prompt and thus
can't fix the file.

    So, is there anyway I can boot up the thing in single user mode so I can
fix the stupid file?  The man page for init says that it will only prompt for
an init level to start up in if there is no initdefault entry in /etc/inittab,
which of course there is by default and I have no way of logging in to change
it.  Is there anything I can do short of reinstalling UNIX?

	Thanks in Advance.
--
		Malcolm Purvis (malcolmp at otc.otca.oz.au)
		R&D Contractor, OTC Development.