Booting Interactive UNIX in single user mode.

Conor P. Cahill cpcahil at virtech.uucp
Fri Mar 29 03:45:44 AEST 1991

malcolmp at otca.oz (Malcolm Purvis) writes:

>    So, is there anyway I can boot up the thing in single user mode so I can
>fix the stupid file?  The man page for init says that it will only prompt for

This is why I set my initdefault line in /etc/inittab to:

	is:s:initdefault:

(So it always boots to single user mode).

>an init level to start up in if there is no initdefault entry in /etc/inittab,
>which of course there is by default and I have no way of logging in to change
>it.  Is there anything I can do short of reinstalling UNIX?

Take out the boot and install disks.  reboot the system with the boot disk.
load the install disk when prompted and when you get to the menu, ask for
a shell.  At this point you can mount the root of your hard disk (although
it may already be mounted) and mosey on in and fix your inittab and any
other problems that are giving you grief.

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170