X386 server and TCP/IP

Rick Summerhill rrsum at matt.ksu.ksu.edu
Tue Mar 19 11:58:01 AEST 1991

A short while ago I posted a note about X386 1.1 and a problem I was
having with the server simply quiting.  I figured out what was
happening and thought I would summarize:

The problem was that the server would die doing just simple things and
that it would be inconsistent in running clients.  In the process of
dying, it would hang the console.  I had also just installed
TCP/IP.

It turns out that there is a bug in the mail set-up script that
configures mail for the TCP/IP package.  I ran this script to find
out what it did to sendmail.cf, the configuration file for sendmail,
but I didn't realize that it also changes resolv.conf, the
configuration file for name resolution.  Even though you select the no
nameserver option, the script puts a line in resolv.conf with a blank
nameserver.  It should make the second line read "nonameserver", but
it leaves off the "no".  This means that all name resolution was
disrupted, including having the X server look for a reasonable name
for the server for exterior clients.

Changing this entry back fixed the problem.

--Rick

Rick Summerhill                          Internet:  rrsum at hermzel.ksu.ksu.edu
CTA, Cardwell Hall                       Bitnet:    rrsum at ksuvm
Kansas State University                  Phone:     (913)532-6311
Manhattan, KS 66506                      FAX:       (913)532-5914