ISC 2.2 Floppy tape driver with CMS JUMBO

Kent Karrerroot root at shambala.uucp
Wed Mar 27 02:12:55 AEST 1991

In article <1991Mar24.112102.8264 at ibmpcug.co.uk> cboyes at ibmpcug.co.uk (Chris Boyes) writes:

>I have been trying to install a CMS JUMBO floppy tape system
>on a system running ISC UNIX 2.2, without success!
>The method of installation was as per OS Guide section 7.16
>1. Remove floppy disk driver
>2. Add New floppy driver
>3. Add Floppy tape driver
>4. Rebuild and reinstall kernel
>
>Normal UNIX floppy disk mounting and access was possible
>but use of the ftape command as below gives errors as below:
> #ftape -t /dev/ftape
>  /dev/ftape : no such device (after timeout)
>then
> #ftape -t /dev/ftape
>  /dev/ftape : device busy
>
>Following this any attempt to access the floppy disk results
>in a device busy message.

I had the same problem. I finally called CMS Technical Support. They asked
me to check the rev level of my tape drive. Apparently there is a known
problem with a particular rev level. I fixed the bug by purchasing CMS's
new unix driver.

I suggest you call their tech support number (number in back of documenta-
tion and talk to them.

--
[ A GREAT DEAL OF CHAOS IN THE WORLD occurs because people don't appreciate ]
[                      themselves. -- Chogyam Trungpa                       ]