ISC 2.2 Floppy tape driver with CMS JUMBO

Chris Boyes cboyes at ibmpcug.co.uk
Sun Mar 24 21:21:02 AEST 1991

I have been trying to install a CMS JUMBO floppy tape system
on a system running ISC UNIX 2.2, without success!
The method of installation was as per OS Guide section 7.16
1. Remove floppy disk driver
2. Add New floppy driver
3. Add Floppy tape driver
4. Rebuild and reinstall kernel

Normal UNIX floppy disk mounting and access was possible
but use of the ftape command as below gives errors as below:
 #ftape -t /dev/ftape
  /dev/ftape : no such device (after timeout)
then
 #ftape -t /dev/ftape
  /dev/ftape : device busy

Following this any attempt to access the floppy disk results
in a device busy message.

Just by chance I tried using the floppy disk via VP/ix as drive
A: (after rebooting and confirming floppy access via UNIX) and
no floppy tape access.

The result was a quick flash on the disk activity light and the
VP/ix procces hung and could not be killed, in fact when used
from the console the only solution was to remove the power.
The tape drive functions perfectly using DOS and is not faulty.
The UK OEM supplier had no experience of the floppy tape driver
and was sympathetic but could not help. I would be greatfull if
anyone who may have used the floppy tape driver could give me
some help.

It may of course be a bug in the operator not the system !
I appologise if this problem has been seen on the net before I
am a new reader of news and this is my first posting.

Chris Boyes			| Email cboyes at ibmpcug.co.uk
21 St Anns's Court		| ...!uunet!ukc!ibmpcug!cboyes
Stanley Road, Sutton		| Phone +44 81-661-9259,+44 81-643-8000
Surrey SM2 6RX England		| Usenet access via CONNECT
--
Automatic Disclaimer:
The views expressed above are those of the author alone and may not