wanted: UNIX or clone

Jack F. Vogel jackv at turnkey.tcc.com
Thu Mar 28 05:22:57 AEST 1991

In article <450 at jgaltstl.UUCP> terry at jgaltstl.UUCP (terry linhardt) writes:

>Which provokes the question.........just *what* is UNIX? Is it
>SVID? Is it really a philosophy? Can someone say that AIX, for
>instance, is 'UNIX', since some would argue it is really a
>proprietary OS based upon an 'old' version of 'UNIX'. If Coherent
>is *not* UNIX, as you imply, then what is UNIX?

No big mystery, UNIX is a not some philosophical notion or abstraction. It
is a licensed product of AT&T. You want to know if something is UNIX, well
does it require a license from AT&T, does AIX...yes, does Xenix...yes, does
4.3BSD...yes. Now what about Minix or Coherent...I'm sure you can answer
that. Of course, the above mentioned operating systems may offer appreciable
original code, but if they are using AT&T code they require the license, be
it SVr2, SVr3 or whatever. Furthermore, the name "UNIX" is a registered
trademark of AT&T. Philosophy and its abstractions...BAH!!

Jack F. Vogel			jackv at locus.com
AIX370 Technical Support	       - or -
Locus Computing Corp.		jackv at turnkey.TCC.COM